The holidays are in full swing, which means lots of drivers are taking to road to find the perfect gifts. Your family may be excited about embracing the holiday spirit, but it is also important to stay safe during this time. No matter the season, the roads are always unpredictable. Therefore, becoming a defensive, alert, and responsible driver can help you avoid injuries and accidents that could cause serious damages.
Remaining patient in bumper to bumper traffic may sound impossible to do, but during the holidays, this could be a common occurrence. Make the decision to stay calm rather than letting road rage take over. Then, you can get to your destination safely as opposed to bullying others the road. Other tips you should follow when out shopping include:
• Park in a well-lighted space.
• Don’t park next to a van or truck where people can hide.
• Lock your vehicle both when driving and parked.
• Have your car keys in your hand.
• Place all shopping bags, packages, and gifts out of sight.
• Keep windows rolled up.
• Be careful at intersections and stop lights.
• Leave enough space between you and the car in front of you.
• If you feel like you are being followed, don’t drive home. Go to a police station, fire house, gas station, or public place.
• If your car breaks down, stay with the car and never accept rides from people you don’t know. Use a cell phone if available.
• Keep vehicle well maintained and full of fuel.
• Most importantly, never drink and drive!
At Stassen Insurance, we hope these tips make it easier to navigate the busy roads this holiday season. Keeping the essentials in mind, such as always wearing your seat belt, eliminating distractions, and slowing down, will make your ride that much smoother. In addition, having more control of your shopping trips may allow you to actually get into the holiday spirit!