Are you preparing to put up your Christmas tree soon? This can be an exciting event for your entire family, but it can also be potentially dangerous if you are not careful. Don’t let accidents or injuries ruin your time spent with loved ones during this special tradition. Instead, take the safety precautions necessary to have a safe and happy holiday.
There are certain steps you should take to ensure everyone’s safety and prevent hazards from destroying your home. These include the following:
• Before finding your perfect tree, get your tree stand ready. A good tree stand should sit level on the floor and not wobble, it should have some kind of dish to hold water because your tree will need to stay hydrated over the holiday season, and it should have mounting screws.
• There are a few different options when it comes to finding your tree. You can buy a fresh tree, pre-cut and pre-mounted, you can pick one up at your local greenhouse/tree lot, or you can cut down your own tree. No matter what you choose, make sure to keep kids safe during this step.
• Double-check your measurements to make sure your tree will fit in the space your have designated for it. Once you get the tree home, do not take the netting off just yet. Keep kids and pets clear of the area you will be working in. Carefully lower the tree into the stand and turn the screws in the base to apply even pressure to the trunk.
• Now, cut off the netting that is covering the tree. Never use open flames near the tree, such as candles. Instead, use safe and approved lights, but don’t overload plugs or circuits, and never run extension cords under the tree skirt or under rugs. Also, don’t use breakable, glass ornaments if you have young kids.
• By individually wrapping branches with strands of lights, you can minimize the risk for a fire and for exposed cords. Wear protective gloves and a long-sleeved shirt as you work. Don’t forget to unplug the lights when you go to bed each night or if you are away from home.
The tradition of putting up a tree creates a warm feeling inside, giving you a sense of love and togetherness. At Stassen Insurance, we hope you take your time during this process. It will not only create great memories, but also help keep your family safe this holiday season. As you decorate the rest of your home, keep in mind the hazards that could cause accidents and injuries. If you are concerned about the protection and safety of those in your household, secure the home insurance you deserve with us. We can help make the selection and purchasing process painless. Meet your distinct coverage needs this season at an affordable price so you can enjoy your time with your loved ones!