Are you always in the kitchen? That may have been the case during the holidays. If you were responsible for the cooking, that also means you were in charge of the clean up. If your sponges look like they are from another planet, it may be time to invest in new ones. However, if some are salvageable, you can sterilize them to good as new.
If you don’t allow your kitchen sponges time to dry, bacteria, yeasts, and mold will build up in them. This can cause a messy situation if you use the same sponges to wipe down counters, tables, and other areas of the kitchen. To avoid the passing of germs, here are some ways to sanitize and disinfect your kitchen sponge:
• Remove all food particles from the kitchen sponge by placing it under running water and scraping off the visible crumbs.
• Wring the sponge after each use, and set it in a place where it can air dry. Keep a clean dry sponge on hand, and rotate sponges at least every 2 days.
• Throw the kitchen sponge in the washing machine with your towels or sheets, then allow to air dry completely.
• Wet the sponge well and do not wring it out. Microwave on high for two to four minutes, but make sure it doesn’t dry out and catch fire. After wringing out the excess water once cooled, the sponge is ready for use.
• Make a solution of 10% bleach and soak the sponge in it for 4 minutes. Rinse well, then wring dry.
• Put the sponge into boiling water. Cover with a lid and boil for 5 minutes. Let cool, then wring out excess water.
As you know, the kitchen is probably filled with the most bacteria in the house. This is why Stassen Insurance hopes these tips for disinfecting and sanitizing your kitchen sponge helps maintain your health and the health of those you love. If you are concerned about the health of your property, we can help you make the right selection in our homeowners insurance. It is designed with your best interest in mind, catering to your unique requirements. So, whether your primary goal is to protect your home or seal your home loan, this plan is your solution.